Thursday, December 6, 2018

National Cookie Cutter Week

This is National Cookie Cutter week. These kitchen tools, of course,  are used to cut out dough in a particular shape. Do you make cutout cookies? I bake a few recipes of this type and I do possess a small collection of cutters. I don't actually use these, but love to display them. They belonged to my paternal grandmother and were used to create sweet treats for my dad and my aunt as they were growing up.
Many of those which I use are plastic since that's been the modern-day trend and, in fact, this is the style I used growing up baking at home.

I also have some made of aluminum.


Considered to be a part of the cookie cutter family is a cookie press. This is mine and has an interesting little story. I requested and received this as a Christmas gift when I was a junior-high Home Ec. student. (I think that sentence dates me since today we would say I was a middle school family and consumer education student!)  I already enjoyed baking at that time and when this new electric version of an old gadget was advertised on television during the holiday season, I thought it would be great to have. Decades later, it still serves me well for spritz cookies. Yum!

This is known as a cookie press, too. After rolling a ball of dough, a design is pressed into the top with this terra cotta tool.


A balanced diet is a cutout cookie in each hand! 🍪