Thursday, May 30, 2019

Vining Black-eyed Susan

Thunbergia alata, also known as vining black-eyed Susan, is one of my favorite annuals. If you're like us, the frequent heavy rains have slowed your planting efforts a bit this year. I thought I'd mention this showy, strong performer in case you are still digging in the dirt and would like to try it. 
This delicate-looking, fast growing vine requires sun. Although it comes in orange, white and yellow, I always seem to gravitate toward the latter because it reminds me of sunshine! 🌞


For about a dozen years, I have filled a basket that hangs on our gate with vining black-eyed Susan, but this year I opted to plant them in the driveway concrete planter instead and we put sweet potato vines on the gate. We will see how they do. The mini trellis is from Dollar Tree and is an exceptionally thin gauge wire. It's the equivalent to a dry cleaner hanger, so would never adequately support a sturdy vine. Since I wanted a low trellis, though, I thought it might do the trick. Time will tell!



In the very near future, these vines will erupt into a mass of yellow blooms and I look forward to that!

I hope you had an awesome day!