Wednesday, December 14, 2016

What is THAT?

I like to share a recipe each week and although this post isn't one, it's still food-related so I guess it counts! I was recently grocery shopping when I spotted this and thought, "What is that?"!!
If I were still playing school, I would be dragging this interesting thing to my classroom. Isn't it unusual? This large, green citrus fruit is called a pomelo.  Are you familiar? See how it compares in size to the clementine?
When you handle it, it's softer than a typical citrus. In fact, it's almost a little spongy. Inside, the fruit is lighter in color and less juicy than a grapefruit. The membrane is considerably denser (and softer) than that of other citruses.
Pomelos originated in Asia, but are now grown in many countries. This Sunkist brand is from the USA (I assume CA). The taste is milder than that of grapefruit and I enjoyed it.

If you are not able to consume grapefruit due to medical reasons, you will need to avoid pomelos, too. The same substance in grapefruit (which blocks the action of enzymes that are supposed to break down certain medications) is also present in pomelo. That can be dangerous, of course, so don't try it.

Have you seen a pomelo in your store? Have you tried one?