Thursday, September 14, 2017

Cherry Waldorf Salad

I think I have mentioned before that I receive Taste of Home Simple and Delicious magazine. A friend purchases it for me each Christmas and I always enjoy looking through the magazines when they arrive. It's fun to try something new...or a twist on an old recipe, as is the case today. Since it's apple season, it seemed a good time to prepare. My parents and I recently went to the orchard to get fresh apples, so I used some of those.



Cherry Waldorf Salad
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 T. honey

2 large apples (about a pound), cubed
1 T. lemon juice
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed

For the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream and honey. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. add celery, cranberries and almonds. Toss with dressing. Gently stir in cherries. Cover and refrigerate. Needs to be chilled at least an hour before serving.
To toast nuts: Bake in a shallow pan in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes.

**I used chopped pecans rather than almonds since that is what I typically use in my "regular" Waldorf salad.


I hope you like this 'apple'-lutely yummy salad!
🍎