Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Kimberly Queen Fern

I'm not a big fan of wintering-over plants. My houseplants stay inside throughout the year and I rarely have the occasion (or interest) in extending a welcome mat to outside plants when the weather turns cold. This year, however, I have changed my mind because of my beautiful fern! 


Are you familiar with Kimberly Queen fern?  In my opinion, this variety is the best! I love growing them because they are tight, more upright and tidy! Unlike Boston fern, Kimberly Queen do not shed those pesky little leaves! Not at all! Each year we get one of these lovelies for the patio, but I have never tried bringing one in before. This year's, though, has become such a giant that I just couldn't let the frost get it. So, for a few weeks I had been dragging it into the garage to get it acclimated. Then it came inside. For now, it's in the office, but I think it is going to another location. 

I stuck the yardstick next to the plant for perspective. 

When I got this fern, it was in a five gallon plastic pot at the grocery store where my mother and I were running an errand. I guess our dreadfully hot and humid St. Louis summer made my new $10 plant quite  happy because it went crazy! Even though this variety of fern prefers to be root-bound, I had to move it into a slightly larger pot before bringing it inside. 



Kimberly Queen Facts
*This variety is also known as "Australian Sword" fern as it originated in Australia.
*Kimberly Queen grows well in zones 5-11.
*This plant is very adaptable. It loves bright indirect light, but tolerates some direct sun (ours gets sun on the patio).
*Like all ferns, it loves humidity and the tips will brown if it doesn't get enough moisture. (Can you envision me "spritzing" mine this winter?! Perhaps I will let it use the humidifier!!)
*It prefers warm temperatures and will stop growing if the temperature is 60 degrees, or cooler.
*Kimberly Queen is touted to be disease and pest resistant. (Before bringing in mine, I watered it with a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide and two parts water to kill any possible soil gnats lurking about.)
*Everything I have read indicates that this particular type of fern is considered a non-poisonous houseplant. If you decide to grow one, please confirm that information.



 
We will see how it looks by the time spring rolls around. 😉I can't replicate the Lord's growing conditions, but I will try my best to keep this fern happy until it can be returned to its favorite spot out on the patio next spring!