Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Breakfast Casserole

Do you ever need a good recipe for a morning pot-luck? It's been my experience that many people tend to contribute  pastries for a morning gathering, so it's nice to be able to provide some protein. I have shared this at before-school teacher breakfasts and Sunday school brunches. It's also perfect for serving at your home, especially if you're hosting a brunch. A flavorful crowd-pleaser, it's simple to prepare because your slow cooker does the work for you!


Breakfast Casserole
1 bag frozen hash browns (don't thaw beforehand)
12 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 T. ground mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 pound sausage (cooked, crumbled and drained)
16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion, finely chopped (optional--I omit this)

Spray your crock pot and spread the hash browns in the bottom. In a bowl, beat the 12 eggs well before adding the milk. Sprinkle in the ground mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
Layer cooked sausage on top of the hash browns. Put cheese on top of the sausage. With a long handled spoon, mix well those three ingredients. Then pour egg mixture over everything, making sure it's spread evenly. Put on the lid and set your crock pot on low to cook 6-8 hours.


* I use this whenever I need sausage for a recipe. In addition to having a great taste, it's very lean. You will have very little grease in your pan after cooking it. I first began using it due to its lack of MSG (something we have to avoid in Randy's diet) so that's how I became familiar with it. Now I wouldn't use any other kind!

Would you like to see a picture of this delicious dish after it's cooked? I'm afraid you'll have to close your eyes and imagine. When I recently made this for church, we dashed out the door with it before remembering to lift the lid for a photo! It's kind of like my forgetting the punchline to a joke! Our Sunday school class gobbled it up, leaving no leftovers to photograph. Oh, well.

You might want to try this some time. We love it and I think it's an egg-cellent recipe!