Monday, November 21, 2016

Thankful Week

How is it possible that Thanksgiving is just days away? My posts will be focusing on the spirit of thankfulness these next few days. We all have so many blessings and reasons to be thankful!

Last year at this time I wrote about Operation Christmas Child (click on Operation Christmas Child to read that post for a review) and, once more, we have just completed our national collection week. It's humbling and rewarding to be a part of this exceptionally worthy endeavor. I am thankful that Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse is in existence so that help and hope can be offered to children across the globe.
Our coordinator brought in her antique school desk for display purposes this week. The booklets shown are an example of the one each child receives in his or her box. Published in the child's native language, these books are added to the shoebox by Samaritan's Purse before distribution.


I am thankful to have the opportunity to do my small part for Operation Christmas Child by volunteering the past eight days with other workers (including Randy who was able to juggle his schedule and help some and my mother who prepared and served food at their church for the area workers).  I have the privilege of meeting and greeting donors and also packing shoeboxes into cartons. A year ago, I blocked-out the 2016 dates on my calendar so that I would be fully available without any conflicts and I have already done this for 2017. 😊 As a donor, I enjoy shopping year-round for the "goodies" we put in our shoeboxes and it's exciting to think of the sweet recipients.  I am thankful  for the donors who took the care and time to lovingly prepare shoeboxes and bring them to us so that our church could collect and transport 3,880 of those shoeboxes to the collection center.
We load shoeboxes into these large cartons. Depending upon the size of the boxes people donate, we are able to fit anywhere from 12-23 in each carton.



The cartons go into trailers which are taken to the local collection center (which happens to be my parents' church). Our church transported 215 cartons to the collection center this year!

My friend put it best when she said that each box represents a child's smile. These boxes of supplies, surprises and love will go to children who have so little. It is a blessing to help children all around the world.

Give praise to the Lord, proclaim His name; make known among the nations what He has done.
                                                                  1Chronicles 16:8