Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Nativities...part 2

As promised, I am sharing additional nativity sets today. As a child, I remember putting Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus and the wise men on display each year when we trimmed our tree and decorated our home. Then when I got married, we received this lovely nativity from my parents for our first Christmas. Precious Moments were highly popular three decades ago and remain so with me! Rather than setting out this nativity each December, though, it has its own special shelf in the curio year-round. 
Photographing items in the curio is a challenge with the mirrored back! 

My handsome, large-scale set is prominently placed on our mantel this season. I love everything about these detailed pieces with their fabric clothing. It, too, was a gift from my parents and was given to me about five years back.





I have several nativities highlighted in my curio this Christmastime and each holds its own story.
This one belonged to my paternal grandmother.
This snowglobe nativity belonged to my in-laws. The clear glass figurines make it tough to photograph.

As children, we used to receive these sets in Sunday school each year. I always tuck them in my trees.

These were handmade by some friends of my parents.



This is a set I thrifted and bronzed myself.


Newest to my collection, though, is a very special gift that came to me just recently. Isn't it exquisite? 

My friend's mother quilted this gorgeous wall-hanging several years ago for her own nativity collection. A few summers ago, I went to her home to see all of the nativities she had and was amazed! She had a corner cabinet stuffed full of lovely sets of all kinds that she had accumulated by purchase and as gifts. When I turned around and saw this wall-hanging in her home, though, I stopped in my tracks. I thought it was absolutely lovely. She had made it herself, years before, and even added facial features to all of the characters (both human and animal). Sadly, this past October my friend lost her mother and I was humbled when this precious piece was given to me a few days after her service. You could have knocked me over with a feather upon receipt and although I originally protested, I accepted it. I felt it should go to a family member , but my friend explained that her mother had wanted me to have it. So, I humbly took it and proudly hung it in our foyer where it welcomes all of our guests this joyous season. 



O, come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord!🎝🎜