Monday, January 7, 2019

A Tweak for Winter

Early in the Christmas season I showed the swag that's over our door. Even after all of the holiday décor comes down, I always leave the greenery for the remainder of the winter. 
The silver and gold ornaments had to be pulled, of course, but I have plastic snowflakes to insert in their place which lend themselves well to January and February. This year I decided to trade out the red ribbon with some wired burlap I found for $1.50 in after-Christmas bargains. I'm not good at bows, so I implemented a trick-of-the-trade that a floral arranger friend taught me. I made three loops and tightly wired them together at the base.
When wired in place, it gives the illusion of a bow. You can do this on Christmas trees and wreaths.

Then I tucked-in a tail going down the side and across the top.

I wired in the plastic snowflakes which came from the dollar store after Christmas several seasons ago.


With very little effort, I was able to tweak the swag for a new wintery look. I switched-out my Christmas doormat for a snowman one I have.


As I write this, it's unseasonably mild in our area so for right now, the only snowflakes are these plastic ones...and that's not a complaint!