Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Winter Blooms

I find blooming houseplants to be especially refreshing during dreary winter months. Right now I have flowering paperwhites, amaryllis, African violets and a Christmas cactus (which I suspect is actually a Thanksgiving variety, but it makes no difference) and they're all delightful!



You are probably aware that the anthers (circled in the picture below) are huge stain-makers. When the yellow dust brushes against clothing or drops onto fabric tablecloths, it leaves an unforgiving blemish which is not easily removed. While participating in a workshop, a local florist taught us to use a tissue to gently pluck those anthers when you have cut flowers in your home. Once each of my amaryllis flowers opened, I practiced this trick (obviously after the picture was taken).
This fall it was necessary for me to divide my African violet and it has gone crazy since that time! Look at its showy flowers.


I regret I didn't snap a picture when this Christmas (Thanksgiving?) cactus was it was in its full splendor. It was gorgeous!



I hope your day is the bloomin' best it can be!