Friday, January 29, 2016

Ten Minute (or so) Table Runner

I am probably the last person to know about these quick and easy table runners since I have no sewing experience! However, I am learning to quilt (with my new quilting sewing machine I received for Christmas) and I'm broadening my fabric horizons!

Back in November, I saw the directions to this table runner. It sounded relatively easy and I thought that maybe I could handle it. I began imagining how I could use seasonal fabrics and promised myself I would give it a try for Valentine's Day. Guess what I tackled today?

You will need 1/2 yard of one fabric (your main which will become the back and edge) and 1/3 yard of the other (which will be your accent fabric).

I love the little heart ladybugs!


Turn the fabrics print-side to print-side and sew along the edge with a quarter inch seam. Turn over and repeat along the other edge, so that you end-up with a long tube with the pretty sides inside.
Now you can turn the tube inside out so that your printed sides are showing. Carefully press the fabric flat so that the backside which comes around forms an edge (of equal width) on either side of your accent fabric. Measure several times to be sure it's even because once you stitch in the next step, it will be too late to correct any error.


Fold the tube in half, lengthwise, and sew along one of the short  ends with a quarter inch seam. Repeat at the other end.
"Open" and pull the backside fabric forward, forming a point of the main fabric. 



Repeat the process with other end and you'll have your table runner. It's recommended that you use a decorative stitch or add a button (or other accent) along the line where the triangle ends and meets the accent fabric. I have to decide what I will do to finish mine.
If you are a visual learner, just do a search for "ten minute table runner" and watch a YouTube. Ironically, I even found one highlighting a Valentine table runner last night. This project is touted to take just ten minutes. Due to my lack of experience and weak sewing confidence, it took me a bit longer. Even for me, though, it was quick and enjoyable!

Maybe you'd like to try making one.
Have a wonderful weekend!