Friday, March 22, 2019

Lemon Pancakes

A few weeks ago when a friend and I went to breakfast, we each ordered scrumptious pancakes. Afterward, I began thinking of out-of-the-ordinary hotcakes I could try making at home and that's when the idea of making them lemon popped into my head. I decided that I could make it easy on myself and begin with boxed pancake mix and then just jazz it up a bit! I planned that I would add the juice from a whole lemon and definitely some zest. What about a splash of lemon extract? Sure! I was excited to execute my  concoction and was feeling proud of myself for thinking of it when I happened to be reading some pancake recipes online. Guess what I came across?  I saw directions for lemon pancakes! Even though I had not personally tried them, it turns out that I did not invent this breakfast food afterall! 🤣
Still, I will share my simple directions with you. You can use your favorite pancake recipe or do as I did and get out your favorite boxed pancake mix. Add the juice of a freshly-squeezed lemon along with water until you reach the specified amount of liquid called for in the directions. For me, it was just about 50/50. Add a tablespoon of lemon zest and a few drops of lemon extract. You could add a smidgen of yellow food color, if you desire. I added all of this lemoness along with fresh blueberries and oatmeal (both of which I regularly make). The results were the desired hint of freshness without being overpowering. If lemon is not your thing, perhaps you'd prefer cinnamon pancakes. You can click here for the recipe I use and shared back in '16. If you're up for a citrusy addition to your breakfast, you might try my version of lemon pancakes because they are easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! 🍋