Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Quiche

Once I posted a different quiche recipe which a friend had shared with me (see quiche recipe) and it is excellent. This one, however, is an easy classic quiche and very tasty. I have been making variations of it since we got married and it's probably very similar to your own favorite quiche recipe. Just in case you're interested, I decided to share it.
Warmed quiche made a good breakfast today!


Quiche
1  9 inch pie shell (slightly prebaked in a 425 oven)
6 eggs, beaten
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss (or a cheese or your choice)
1 cup light cream (or half and half)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. pepper


Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork and bake for a few minutes in a 425 degree oven. Set aside and reduce oven to 350 degrees.

Stir cheese and bacon together and put in pie shell.

In a bowl, beat eggs and add remaining ingredients. Beat until well blended and pour over cheese and bacon mixture. Bake about 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes our clear. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.

You can create your own variations. Rather than bacon, I used-up some ham which I diced into small pieces.  Leftovers warm nicely in the microwave. I served this with warm rolls and a bed of spinach topped with thin apple slices and chopped pecans.

Now do you need a chuckle? I have to share a little mishap which occurred the other night when I made this. I had a prepared frozen pie shell in the freezer so I decided to use that. As I am sure you also do, I always place the pie shell on an extended oven rack so that I can assemble the quiche in place by pouring in the egg mixture and, thereby,  avoid lifting/transporting a liquid-filled crust. On my extended oven rack, I carefully placed the pie shell with the ham and cheese in place. I poured in the egg mixture and gently began pushing in the rack. Then my bowl accidentally clipped the edge of the crust which had, apparently, been cracked in the freezer. That inch piece of crust edge broke, fell down and it resulted in a volcano! Raw egg mixture flowed onto the flat pan I'd placed beneath the pie, over that shallow edge and into the bottom of the oven and on the inside of the oven door. Then it ran down across the edge of the door, dripped down and pooled on the floor. It was horrible!!! With an already heated oven, the thin film of egg cooked in place before my eyes. Surprisingly, I was able to salvage the quiche (apparently a little egg mixture goes a long way when it runs out of its crust), but it required quite a bit of elbow grease to clean up! I spent several minutes of the baking time wiping and disinfecting surfaces. I think that's officially what we call a hot mess!

Happy day!