Friday, January 27, 2017

Show and Tell

After showing my disorganized drawers yesterday, I decided to share the actual  piece of furniture today. You've seen it in many pictures and while I always refer to it our "hutch", it's really not. It was my mother who politely asked if it wasn't technically a "sideboard" and it is! 😊
It's still decked-out in January décor with a snowman and wreath, but I am starting to put out a few
things for Valentine's Day.


We bought it when this house was under construction and I was smitten with it when I first laid eyes on it! I loved the wood and style. The antique dealer was nice enough to write-up a short description of it which I kept. Do you see something yellow under the creamer in the picture below? That's the hand-written document, which I keep tucked in the drawer.


The description reads that it is an oak tall sideboard from around 1900. It also explains that the supports are tobacco twists, on urn bases, with applied decorations on the doors.



The hardware is original.
Being drawn to the history of pieces, I've often wondered about this sideboard. How many families have owned it? In how many dining rooms has it been used? I'll never know for sure, but what I do know is that we enjoy it!


Have a blessed weekend, everyone!