Friday, January 19, 2018

A Blast from the Past Recipe

I've been trying to do a little household organizing lately and recently went through a container of miscellaneous keepsakes. Among such treasures as my Barbie watch from when I was four, my Brownie beanie and now-petrified-elastic Brownie uniform belt, cards and letters from my "Sweet 16th" and (not as sweet) 30th, 40th and 50th birthdays, I came across a very yellowed newspaper clipping highlighting today's recipe. As a high school student, I was selected to be featured in the weekly cooking column of our local paper. In addition to a short paragraph and a much younger picture of me in the kitchen, was this favorite recipe for Black Bottom Cupcakes. Of course, I obtained it from my mother and this traditional Southern treat has been popular with our family and friends forever! We have always made these delicious cupcakes for lots of special occasions and special people over the years. I haven't made these mouth-watering goodies for a few years, but was inspired to do so since the discovery of this 37 year-old clipping coincided with my need to prepare baked goods for an event.

Black Bottom Cupcakes
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 T vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
chopped nuts
powered sugar

Combine cream cheese, egg, sugar and 1/8 tsp. salt. Stir in chocolate chips and set mixture aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, 1/2 tsp. salt and baking soda. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla to flour mixture. Beat well.

Fill cupcake liners one-third full with cocoa batter. Top each cupcake with 1 heaping T of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle tops with chopped nuts. 

Bake in a 350 degree over for 30-35 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Yield: 18 cupcakes
Note: There cupcakes freeze well.

For a printable copy of this recipe, copy here.




By the way, I purged lots of items from my container and while I felt I could part with such things as my Oscar Mayer Weinermobile ring, the old Brownie belt and my ID card from college, I have kept the "blast from the past" newspaper clipping of this favorite recipe! 



Happy Friday!