Monday, January 22, 2018

Silhouette

I was asked to provide a baby picture of myself for an approaching event with which I am involved. As I sorted through my packet of photos and considered which to submit, I found this silhouette in the collection. 
Before photography, silhouettes were made to capture people's images. From the 1500s to the mid 1800s, artists would either paint or cut,  from black paper,  individual's profiles. Today silhouettes are sometimes available at special events as a novelty. Mine was cut, rather than painted, and was a souvenir from my first trip to the IN State Fair. My parents took me when I was 15 months old. I decided it would be fun to frame this little keepsake and display it, so I switched-out a frame that was already hanging in one of the guestrooms. 
Sorry about the unavoidable reflection in the mirror! 






Although it's now part of a trio above an old cabinet in the room, I will be switching that arrangement by removing the flowers and hanging a different wall hanging.  I made the mirror years ago and simply added childhood pins to the bow on the frame. There is another little change coming to this room in the near future, so stay tuned. I have ordered something and it's slated to arrive in a few weeks.




I think silhouettes are interesting! Do you have any?