Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Banana Cookies

If you're like me, your baking is usually purposeful since it's for a specific event or occasion. This recipe is a good one because it produces moist and flavorful cookies that are a little out-of-the-ordinary. I happened to have an overripe banana to use this weekend, so I reached for the recipe and made a batch to carry in somewhere. 




                                       Banana Cookies
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar **divided into a 1 cup portion and a 1/4 cup portion
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 large ripe banana, mashed 
1 T cinnamon

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and mashed banana. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well combined. Cover and refrigerate several hours (I leave mine overnight) until dough is firm. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees and combine remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar with cinnamon. Shape dough into round balls (I used my standard cookie scoop) and roll in cinnamon-sugar mix. Place two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I always use parchment paper) and bake about 12 minutes until lightly browned.

If you'd like a printable version, click here. I was able to make nearly 5 dozen cookies from one recipe. These freeze well!


If you're fond of bananas, you might want to try these sometime; I think you'll find them
 a-'peel'-ing! 🍌