Thursday, March 16, 2017

National Quilting Day

This Saturday is National Quilting Day. I have always been drawn to quilts! I love their color combinations and designs, but most of all I enjoy the stories quilts tell. In bygone days, of course, quilts were a necessity to keep warm. As time marched on, the lovely covers evolved from being useful to decorative. It's true that some people still have quilts on their beds, but usually not for practical reasons. Remember the copper quilt ladder I made? I enjoy showcasing a few quilts on it.
I have my dad's baby quilt, so it has a meaningful history.


Learning to quilt has been something I have been working on the past two years and this is one of my projects, made with the guidance of a friend who is still teaching me. It represents an accomplished goal when I was newly retired.

Several years ago, I had this quilt made from my childhood dresses (primarily from when I was in first grade). I only cut the squares and created the combinations. I paid someone to do all the actual work! This piece brings back many memories since I can point to any of the fabrics and fondly recall the outfits I wore to school, for Easter, for Christmas, etc.


While this is not an antique or handmade quilt, it still has a tale to tell. Randy gave it to me for Christmas the year we built this house for the purpose of displaying on the wall, so it's special to me!





This treasure is a dear family piece. My paternal grandmother began it in the 1930s. As if that doesn't make it special enough, I love that it's created from feed/flour sacks. The top was nearly completed when she gave it to my parents somewhere along the way. As happens to all of us, the busyness of life sometimes prevents us from accomplishing all that we desire to do. Thankfully, there was scrap fabric packed away with it so I was able to hire a woman to finish the edges and binding, in addition to quilting it. Isn't it gorgeous? By the way, my dad made the handsome quilt rack for me nearly 30 years ago.



Do you have quilts? If so, what stories do they tell?