Monday, March 6, 2017

What is This?

What is this?
If you guessed that it is a dryer sheet, you're correct. If you guessed that it is used dryer sheet, you get extra credit! What can you do with it?

I'm not a dryer sheet girl. I use Downey so when I found a card idea calling for used dryer sheets, I appealed to some friends. Those of them who use them offered to save theirs for me. Perfect! One of the girls even ironed hers before giving them to me because she didn't like their crumpled appearance! ๐Ÿ˜Š I made some cards with the snow-looking dryer sheet effect and stashed the others in a plastic bag in my craft room for future use.





Then I read that dryer sheets could be used for cleaning. Hmmm? Apparently people use them to clean many surfaces (countertops, mirrors, etc.), but it was their use on shower doors that piqued my interest. Anyone else get soap scum on their doors? We have always kept a squeegee hanging in our shower and both of us are very disciplined. Each of us always does the doors after our showers. Still, we periodically get a light build-up of scum and that's when my husband, the champion scrubber, comes to the rescue. Randy uses a cleaning wax and scratch-free pad for me since I have weak upper arm strength. (That's my story and I am sticking to it! ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Highly skeptical, I decided to experiment and guess what? The dryer sheet actually works! I read about a variety of methods, but for me a used dryer sheet on a dry door did the trick perfectly. Results will likely vary from door to door, but on our non-frosted glass doors it works like a charm. I'd be happy to show you, but pictures were impossible in the confines of the shower with the glare of the glass.  I can't say what dryer sheet brand is preferable because the sheets were given to me, so I don't know and I don't think it matters. The job goes quickly and even my weak arms were able to do the job in record time! It removes all traces of soap residue (AKA scum), leaving a smooth and clean surface. Time will tell the long-term effects of this cleaning tool. In the meantime, does anyone already do this? Do you use dryer sheets for any other cleaning? Effectively cleaning with an upcycled product checks two boxes for me!



Happy Monday!