Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Front Door Swag

We have a grapevine-base swag around our front door. Four times a year, I change the floral/greenery display (maintaining the same network) to match the seasons. It's time to switch from springtime to summer, so that's been on my list for several days. The weather hasn't cooperated, though. After a string of very rainy days, the sun is out today and so I decided to tackle the job! Away went the daffodils, forsythia and tulips and up went the geraniums, peonies, lilies, daisies and poppies.







The job was not without obstacles, though. When I climbed up the ladder, this is what I found ...





That's right! Not one, but two nests full of eggs. Each year this happens and, in fact, last year I had to postpone the job because the babies had already hatched. I discovered them after I set-up the ladder and was just about to begin the job. Sigh. I told them I would give them a few weeks to mature and move on before I changed my swag and that's exactly what I did. These two mothers were very perturbed with me and flew into the nearby Magnolia to scold me. I promised them I would work quickly so that they could get back to warming the eggs and I did! In record time, I completed the task and got out of the way. I am curious, though, why they would opt for the swag when they could use one of these trees in the backyard forest (or even one of the many out in front)!

At least the door is finished. Now I need to wash the wicker furniture, get out the cushions, hang the patriotic buntings and change the doormat. Then the porch will be officially ready for summer. I look forward to that, but I think the poor birds have had enough trauma for today! Stay tuned for part two in the near future!