Monday, May 16, 2016

Soda King

Last summer my parents gave me an old wooden Coca Cola crate (which was stored in their basement) after I had seen decorating ideas using them. It's part of a display in Randy's office. With it, though,  came an old Soda King crate so I decided to use it for a patriotic vignette in the kitchen. We think the crates are from the 60s and although I tried to get some history on "Soda King", I wasn't able to learn much.

I pilfered through my stashes to find what I wanted. The cobalt ware (both the plate and the covered butter dish) came from Cracker Barrel years ago and were Christmas gifts. I have always loved them since I have a fondness for this color combination. I think the little red transferware plate was a garage sale find eons ago and I had the white one. The linen napkins, flag and boxwood ball were also on hand.
I figured an old Soda King crate had to contain some beverage bottles, so I pulled out the vintage Coca-Cola, Sprite and Pokagon vessels from where I had them on display in a glass-front kitchen cupboard.

By the way, Pokagon was a small company in northeastern IN that made many different flavors of soda pop (that's how IN refers to it). It's been out of business since I was little, but when my cousin unearthed this old bottle in his yard about 20 years ago, he thought of me! Thank goodness! He and his family reside in the lake house my grandparents built in that region of IN and I am positive lots of cold Pokagon soda pop was enjoyed  on hot summer days there over the years.



I hope you enjoy your day!