Wednesday, February 15, 2017

BUTTON, BUTTON...WHO HAS THE BUTTON?

I am creating some greeting cards and the fronts will have small buttons incorporated in the layout. Working on the designs made me think about the useful little clothes-fasteners. Mostly made from plastic now, buttons were usually made from bone, seashell and metal in bygone days and people often saved them in a jar or tin. Did you ever play with your mother's or grandmother's button collection when you were little? We had this old candy tin at our house and it was filled with all sorts of buttons.  Yes,  I do remember playing with the contents.

Several years ago I made this lapel pin by stacking buttons from the tin and I have enjoyed wearing it.


About ten years ago, my aunt shared some buttons with me which had been in my grandmother's buttons. Randy took this antique treasure to the jeweler and had it made into a pendant for me. It was a birthday surprise and has complemented lots of outfits over the years.

Then there is the petite quilted sampler I made and embellished with buttons.



















Button, button...do you have a stockpile of buttons? Aside from the intended purpose, how have you used them?