Friday, April 29, 2016

Copper Butterflies

After the new flooring went down, I rearranged my den. You might remember seeing my granddad's beautiful desk, which is in that room, in a recent post. I then put this slipper-style chair with my old cedar chest (a gift when I was 16) in the corner and it dawned on me that my copper butterfly mobile would be a perfect addition to that spot.


A retirement gift from two of my aunts, the pretty butterflies previously "flew" in a different spot in the house before being relocated. They are solid copper and are rated to be safe for outdoor use, but I can't bring myself to let them out of the house! The slightest breeze causes them to gently turn while reflecting the light. The material relates to the metals on the chest and it just so happens that the copper quilt ladder I made is displayed right around the corner. 













I've always loved butterflies and used to collect items with the motif to decorate my room when growing up. I can also remember equipping myself with my butterfly net and butterfly books so that I could capture and identify as many varieties as possible in our backyard.  While I won't bore you with the story now, believe me when I say that one of my earliest memories involves these magnificent winged insects.


It's hard to believe that it was nearly a year ago that I received this retirement gift and that I was preparing to complete my happy 30 year teaching career.


The wonder of teaching is like watching caterpillars become butterflies.