Thursday, August 18, 2016

A Revamped Lamp

Family pieces are important to us. We love when objects in our home have a history. This lamp is new to me, but it's been around for a long time and has a story of its own. It's my dad's college light, which was purchased when he went to Purdue about 60 years ago.  Isn't it interesting? Even the shade is metal. I like the leaf pattern in the base, too.







My parents had the lamp stored in their basement and they weren't using it, so my dad asked me if I would like to have it. Sure! We figured rewiring it would be a good idea, so my mother cleaned it up and my dad did the electrical work.



Somehow, over the years, the finial had been lost and it actually had been substituted with a butterfly bolt! My dad replaced that with this gold top, as shown here. That got me thinking. I wanted the lamp to remain its original color,  but what would happen if I added a little gold leaf so it would tie-in with the gold knob? I took my 40% off coupon to Hobby Lobby, bought another tube of Rub-n-Buff (this time in gold leaf) and went to work.







My dad doesn't mind that I added these touches to his light. In fact, he joked that someone would have swiped it from his dorm room if it had looked like this back then! Now I will enjoy using this revamped lamp in our den... and it has a story.