Monday, August 15, 2016

Sausage & Spinach Bake

Happy Monday morning! I hope your weekend was wonderful. If you're a fan of spinach, I have a recipe you might want to try this week. I got it from the current issue of Taste of Home, Simple and Delicious magazine. I made this casserole a few weeks ago and we enjoyed it!

Sausage & Spinach Bake
1 pound bulk sausage (I am a huge fan of Jimmy Dean's All Natural sausage)
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped (I used a bit of dried instead)
1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup half-and-half (I used less than this amount, based on the looks of the consistency)
1 tube (8 oz.) regrigerated crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onions over medium heat until the sausage is cooked and no longer pink. Break up sausage into crumbles and drain.

Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and half-and-half to sausage mixture; cook until blended. Transfer to a greased 9 by 13 baking dish.

Unroll crescent dough into one long rectangle; press perforations to seal. Place over sausage mixture. Bake, covered 10 minutes. Bake, uncovered 12-15 additional minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. (* Note that I had to slightly press the crescent rolls with my palm to enlarge them before putting them in place so they would cover the entire surface of sausage mixture. Even so, it still fell a little short.)



We had freshly sliced tomatoes and corn-on-the-cob with this and then some juicy peaches for dessert. It made for an easy meal!


I hope you enjoy this casserole. Have a good day!